THE SOURCE OF THE BIBLE
What is the source of the Bible? God is the source of the Bible (2 Peter 1:11-21). Through the Holy Spirit, God revealed His person and plan to some believers who wrote down His messages for His people (2 Peter 1:20-21). This process is known as inspiration. Although these writers used their own language and style, they wrote what God wanted them to write. So, the Bible is totally reliable because GOD was in control of its writing.
IMPORTANCE OF THE BIBLE
Why did God give us the Bible? Psalm 119:19
- The Bible is meant to guide us in life: Life is a journey, and as we travel through it, we need a map or guide. The Bible serves as our road map pointing out the way we should follow and the way to avoid in order to reach our destination (heaven) as ordered by God. We must study this map (Bible) to learn the way. If we ignore the Bible, we will wander aimlessly through the journey of life and may miss our way and may never reach our destination, which is heaven.
- The Bible is basic equipment: It equips us for every good thing God wants us to do. (2 Timothy 3:17). We should not study the Bible just to increase our knowledge or to win Bible Quiz. We should study it to know God's will for us, to do God's will and to do God's work in the world. The word of God strengthens our faith, helps us to live a holy life and to do good works.
- The Bible gives us God's commandments. The commandments of God reveal the nature and will of God. If we live according to the instructions given to us by God, we will live a happy life and go to heaven.
- The Bible reveals JESUS CHRIST to us. Through the Bible we learn that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. When we know Jesus Christ, we have all we need to be saved from our sins, have a perfect relationship with God, receive blessings and go to heaven. We must take the word of God seriously. This means that we must read it everyday, study it everyday and memorise it everyday. We pray better when we know the word of God because we know what to ask, how to ask and when to ask. Also, a good knowledge of the Bible makes us to be friends of God.
- O Lord give me the grace to study your word everyday, in the name of Jesus.
- Father Lord, let me reap the benefits of the Bible, in the name of Jesus.
Pastor Edith Chima